Monday, December 13, 2010

Sometimes it's What You Learn In Kindergarten

Remember art class in school? When you got to do things you never did at home and made a mess in the name of art? Teachers always seemed to have some magic artistic sense that made everything incredible and almost impossible to make as beautiful. In Kindergarten you learned about making things stick to glue. My favorite was glitter. Of course as a student we couldn't use the glitter but we could lay the glue out in a design and then the teacher would walk around and add just the right amount of glitter.

I wish I could say my glue and glitter skills have improved since the early days...but it would be a lie. However the concept is fresh in my head and I am sure that at some point in my life I will be able to manage the glue and glitter. In the mean time the concept in my head tonight was simple. Write names in glue, sprinkle the glitter and have the names magically appear. One issue, glue does not always spread evenly on fabric, especially fur...especially wrinkled fur. My goal is to make stockings for each person who works in the 4-H and FCS departments at the Robeson County Center of the North Carolina Cooperative Extension Service. Last year I made stockings for the 4-H department but thanks to an incredible team effort over the last year I am in a place where I get to make more. The idea for the stockings is that they hang on each person's door or near their desk and the happy elves deliver gifts, notes, edibles, or other things as the month goes on. Before the first person leaves for Christmas vacation we will all open our stockings together and see what is in them. Kind of a holiday team building exercise. This year my stockings are for Ava, Tamika, Christy and Janice. They may look like a kindergarten student made them, but I hope the spirit of the idea is not lost in the gluey glitter golden mess of Holidayness.

No comments: