Saturday, January 24, 2009

Knitting Version 2.0


Great presents come in small packages...or something like that. The other day a friend of mine, lets call her Tiffanee stopped by and dropped off this oddly shaped wrapped gift. Usually a quick glimpse at an oddly shaped you can tell what it is but this one I couldn't figure out. So like any child with a wrapped present I tore the wrapping off in record time and found a soft plastic case containing four round knitting looms. I had seen these before but had never been quite brave enough to have a go at it. So with this great present in hand, I read all I could, and waited until I got home that night to whip off a hat.
One of my bears was kind enough to model the hat (so the square parts of the hat are probably his ears sticking up). It is of course knitted in the round so the variegated chunky yarn (yes, another skein from Jane) sort of swirls between black and white in this knitted version. To have a brim you fold back three inches and knitted the bottom into the hat itself which I thought was interesting. It took less than a skein of yarn to knit a hat that would fit an adult. It is very light weight and resembles a typical ski hat. I can't say it was any faster than using my needles, but might be when I get the hang of wrapping the yarn around the posts. To adjust the size of the finished product you use different size looms.
These looms would be awesome for anyone learning how to knit and they are a great break for me to do something a little different. I seem to have a stock pile of yarn that I am trying to knit through now and these rounds will allow me to keep knitting but offer me a challenge of learning a new way to do it. The books also offered ways to to ribbing, blankets, scarves and much more. So much to learn...so much fun to have!

No comments: