Monday, January 12, 2009

Biker Wife Scarf


I admit it looked like a Halloween experiment gone awry. Here I sit right after ringing in the New Year knitting an orange and black scarf. No, I did not knit this because of some longing I have for the scary holiday. Actually I did it to fulfil a promise. Curious yet? Actually a friend of mine, lets call her Jane. Jane handed me a bag with four really big skeins (actually double skeins) of yarn. She had tried to crochet with it but the type of yarn made it difficult and she had given up. So she gave me the skeins and her only request was that I knit her a scarf out of the orange and black skein. Of course I agreed, after all a true knitter never turns down free yarn.
I had knitted with this yarn before and after spending two weeks using size eight needles I was a little frustrated myself. So this time I scoured the Internet (my new crafting buddy) and found a pattern specifically for this type of yarn. I adjust the pattern a little and went to knitting with a knit two purl two pattern. 65 inches later we had a scarf that was full, soft, and unique. I also figured out why she wanted this yarn for her scarf. Not long ago Jane's Husband purchased a motorcycle. Their favorite pastime now is riding everywhere, and anywhere on it. I realized as I was knitting that the colors are also the colors for a very popular brand of cycle. As I presented Jane with her scarf, I asked if it was for the chilly rides, and she said overwhelmingly confirmed my theory.
I'll let you know if it keeps her warm on her next ride.

No comments: