Sunday, April 24, 2011

Jungle Time

Okay, so when you ask your mom to pick up yarn for you and she has to FedEx it because you are working on a deadline and you live five hours apart from each other, it doesn't always happen with out strings (feel free to enjoy any and all puns that I accidentally put in there) attached. At the same time I was planning on attending a baby shower for my friend, my mother was planning on attending a baby shower as well. A young lady she knows, lets call her April, was having a baby shower. Mom and another friend bought a very nice mattress for the crib that April was planning on using. However, a little something more is right up Mom's alley and she asked if I might be willing to knit a blanket for April's baby. I said I would love to, as soon as you send me the yarn I need because I will need the needles in the blanket I am currently knitting to knit the blanket you want.
My instructions were simple. They were having a little boy, and there was a jungle themed room. Sounds simple but when you do not live near yarn stores, sometimes finding neat yarn ideas is rather difficult. So after a quick trip to, of all places, Wal-Mart, I found the perfect color combination. I purchased four skeins (two of each color) of a really bright green and a really bright blue. I knitted the blanket using one strand of each color at the same time. The pattern I used made the blanket look like it was a stripped. Believe it or not when I got done it only took two skeins (and about a foot more of blue yarn) to knit the entire blanket.
As it turns out the baby arrived a few weeks early much to every one's surprise. I hand delivered the blanket to the dad when I visited my mother over Easter. He seemed quite thrilled to know that we took the time to make something special for them and mentioned that the colors worked perfectly.

No comments: