Saturday, April 9, 2011

Cotton Candy vs. Jolly Rancher

A friend of mine is having a baby. Back in October, when she found out, she broke the news to me by asking if I might be willing to knit her a baby blanket. With nine months to go you would think that would be plenty of time to get one done. So I started planning immediately. I knew I wanted a specific pattern book of baby blanket patterns, it is a sister to another book of patterns I have on adult blankets and throws. She is not exactly your typical mother to be and this blanket sort of needed to represent that. I know you are saying the blanket is about the baby not the parents, but since we have not met the little bundle of joy, it needs to be all about mom and dad right now. I was keeping that in mind while picking out yarn. They were told the baby would be a girl, and they have decided on a name, Samantha Renee Wright, Sami for short. Now we have to keep in mind that sometimes ultrasounds don't tell us all we need to know so there is always a chance she might not be a she, so that is also in my head as I pick a yarn. I was thinking something fun and almost tied dyed. So I picked a yarn that had flecks of pink, blue, yellow and white. It was variegated and neat looking. As I started knitting however the blanket looked more like cotton candy, which is OK because Sami's mom likes her cotton candy during the fair.
I started knitting in November, and ran out of yarn. My mother picked up the last skein I needed in March and I finished this 29x32 blanket the week of the baby shower. When the mom to be unwrapped it she seemed tickled with it, and her husband said it reminded him of jolly ranchers. She was able to dissect that I knitted it with two strands of yarn and had done a seed stitch border so it would lay flat. No matter what it reminds him of it will be sweet, especially when Sami gets here.

No comments: