Friday, December 25, 2009

Warming up Something Big for a Friend


I explained in an earlier post that the reason I have not been blogging on this site has to do with a special present I made for an incredible lady. Ms. Mary as we called her in our office was the lady who cleaned up after us. If you have ever been to a 4-H event you can imagine there is a lot of cleaning to do. She also cleaned up after everyone else in our office, but I think we created the biggest headaches for her. To explain Ms. Mary to you...she was over the age of 80 and employed full time, by the county, as the custodian of our building. She has a spunky and feisty personality, and just tells it like it is, so don't let your feelings get in the way. She had a tendency to chase me with a mop if I even thought about stepping on her wet floor and often came after me with the rolling trash can if I was darting around the building (which I have a tendency to do). That is not to mention the other implements she has chased me with for comments I made, didn't make, and just because it gave her joy to do so. Before she left for knee surgery she had asked me to make her something when she retired, anything I wanted and that her favorite color is blue. Not dark blue, not light blue but blue.

That being said, in Ms. Mary's honor I have completed probably the biggest knitting project I have ever done. I made a throw with a square pattern in it that when stretched out covered the top of a queen size bed looked like I was getting ready to play a really big game of checkers. I used a medium blue and it took much longer than it should have. Between my counting issues, pattern issues, and pulling it out completely twice (or possibly thrice) I finally got it all together and completed it after knitting on and off for six months. According to the pattern it should have only taken 18 hours. I know it took me longer than that. The incredible people I work with helped pay for the yarn, which took 12 skeins.

Right before Christmas, my supervisor, his administrative assistant and I went to her house to deliver it to her. She pulled it out of the bag (and kept pulling and pulling) and wrapped the blanket around herself. She seemed very pleased with the gift and said it was going on her bed so she could pull it up over her and around her whenever she wanted. She seemed to know it was made with a great deal of love and appreciation. We hope she will think of us whenever she uses it.

No comments: