Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Comfy, Crafty, Campy


I admit this is something most people learned to do when they went to camp. For many people it was their first simple sewing project without a needle. For me it comes at the age of 40 as part of a Christmas gift I bought myself and it was easy and fun. Perfect little Christmas day project that made me feel productive.
I bought a moccasin kit from Tandy Leather Factory. The kit is inexpensive and you need nothing else with this kit to make the moccasins. You can by them in whatever size you like and they include both youth and adult sizes. The instructions are fairly clear and the few illustrations really do help the project along. You start at the heel move to the tow and by the time you are sewing on the cuff of the shoe, you are an old pro. It comes with a comfort insole already glued in so you will know which is right and which is left. The soles are soft leather, so I think mine will be worn around the house instead of outside in the yard. I admit they are not the most perfect look specimens, but they are comfy and I like them mainly because I made them. If you need a medium length project with kids this would be perfect. It does not involve sewing needles you are just using shoe laces, and it really does boost your self-esteem when you finish, plus it is nice to make something that you can actually use.

No comments: