Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Burning it Up


Part of what I love about crafting is being able to put your heart into something and give it to someone else. My favorite is when it is something that they have looked at and commented how neat it is or when you just make something and surprise them.
On a recent trip to Lowes (where I should probably not be allowed to go because I see too many items I "need") I found an item on sale. Oval shaped pieces of red oak and poplar that I knew I could use (even if I wasn't sure how). After thinking on it, the inspiration and designs hit me. I took the center part of the North Carolina 4-H Centennial logo and designed an NC with the 4-H Clover in it and transferred the designs to the wood. I found my wood burning tool and quickly plugged it in slowly and carefully working my way around the designs. After sanding and touch up I decided the Centennial logo needed color so I started painting. When everything dried I went ahead and used some golden pecan stain to give it a little color. A little polyurethane on top and voila, two 4-H exclusive decorative pieces.
I took them to the North Carolina State 4-H Volunteer Leaders Conference and donated them to the county store. The store is one of three big fundraisers that the members of the North Carolina 4-H Volunteers Leaders' Association put together during this weekend event. They sold for $5.00 each, with the money going to a wonderful organization.

No comments: